We have a plan we really like, but have some changes we would like to see to make it more functional for our lifestyle (and budget). After reviewing hundreds (thousands?) of house plans, the Amicalola Cottage is closest to what we want - but clearly with some changes. The photos they show - though gorgeous, with that level of detail are probably out of our price range! Dream big, right?
- Dining area moved to back of the house. Possibly place in the "Screened Porch" area.
Laundry/Mud room into one large room with quite a bit of storage.
Change nearby Powder Room to include a shower stall. This area needs to
be functional for the farming/hunting aspect of our lives so
weChad can be clean before entering the rest of the home.
- Oversized doors the outside (for accessibility).
- Lodge Room size needs to be increased substantially. Possibly take square footage from Dining/Screened Porch and try to incorporate there?
- Remove "Jack & Jill" aspect of Bathroom #2.
- Ensure garage is oversized for some storage, but to also allow for large vehicles.
- Bonus room above garage unfinished - potential storage and/or bedroom if needed.
- Partial basement - square footage undetermined. We are thinking a large "Game/Hangout" room, storage room, heating/cooling/access, and a bathroom. May be unfinished for a while.
- High ceilings are on Chad's "wishlist".
- We'd like to stay around 3000 square feet on the main floor.
- Master Bath can be smaller, but we like the walk-through shower with multiple shower heads. Neither of us use the bathtub very often, so its role could be lessened.
- I think there is a bar off the Study, that is unnecessary.
In the end, we will be the ones living there and it needs to work for us. I can promise you that we are fully aware there will be things we will wish we would have changed once we move in, but that is all part of the process. If you've been there, done that - or wanted to - or thought about it - or remodeled - or just have a suggestion - let us know!
P.S. If you haven't seen our property with its incredible panoramic views and are in the area - give one of us a jingle and we'll take you up there. It is kind of amazing and we are excited to be closer to being out there in a more permanent way.